Sunday, October 7, 2007

My awkward conference moment

Last night at a donut party with other ladies in the ward, during priesthood. A couple of us got to talking about the talks that we loved from conference. Specifically Elder Holland's, and how passionate it was. Then someone said, "it seemed like he got Elder Nelson going too" to which I said (and I will never know why I would say this, but then, that is the glory of me) "yeah, but I didn't like that he was talking about some deeper doctrines, like the different kingdoms". Now let me explain, so much of that afternoon conference was clearly focused at non members, including Elder Nelsons talk. And I just thought, non members hearing words like Terrestrial and Tellestial might be wierded out and just start thinking about dinosaurs.

Well, here comes the awkward part. Turns out, I should have looked around me, and noticed the shrine to Elder Nelson on the wall behind me. Yeah, he was definitely the grandpa of the girl I was talking to, and of the girl who was hosting the party.

This story is reminiscent of Christian's home teacher insulting The Other Side of Heaven, only worse, because you're not really supposed to critique Apostles talks anyway.

3 comments:

Davis Family said...

rachel you are amazing :p

Davis Family said...

I think you will be suspiciously overlooked when invitations go out for the next female donut gathering.

Davis Family said...

Let me also just reiterate a recurring bit of motherly advice; filter, filter, filter!!