Tuesday, December 4, 2007

BYU...hopefully!

I finished my application yesterday :p
I have a very good chance at Idaho, and a lucky chance at Provo. I convinced the guy to let me send him one of my videos. So thats the plan. Here is my essay after 4 hours of editing it between me, dad and the entire Johnston family. :p
---------

My father is a filmmaker. As a result my family has lived a nomadic lifestyle. For example, we lived for three months in Rarotonga while making a movie called “The Other Side of Heaven,” and spent four months in Israel making “Language of the Enemy.”


Living in foreign countries and becoming immersed in their cultures has given me an appreciation for how different and yet similar are all of God’s children. It seems we all want the same things but we go about getting them in different ways.


Watching my dad work has given me an appreciation for how much effort it takes to produce a film, but I have also witnessed the impact his movies have had on people throughout the world. This has inspired me and given me the desire to have a similar effect on people’s lives.


On my thirteenth birthday my parents gave me my first video editing software. I felt awesome when I finished my first movie, which consisted of a secret agent (my little brother) doing battle with a vicious canine (my dog, Penny).


A year or so later a regional film festival showcased a movie I made about homelessness called “Home Sweet Home.” Most recently I won a stake-sponsored film contest with “Strength of Youth Man,” which depicts the values of the Strength Of Youth pamphlet through the character of a superhero.


My travels have given me a desire to have a voice to speak to people the world over. Making my own movies has given me an idea how I might do so through the medium of film. By furthering my education at BYU, I hope to perfect my filmmaking skills at the same time I reinforce the message I want to convey.

No comments: